There are various kinds of bug repellents out there. Most contain chemicals that may not be good for our bodies, especially when we remember our skin absorbs what is placed on it.
If you are concerned about what you put on your and your family's skin, try making your own bug repellent using Essential Oils. I recently tried and it worked (and I smelled great!).
Organic Aromas recommends the following essential oils:
- Mosquitoes: Citronella, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, basil, clove, thyme, lemongrass, geranium, and lavender;
- Fleas: Cedarwood, citronella, eucalyptus, tea tree, lemongrass, lavender, orange, and pine;
- Ticks: Rose geranium, juniper, rosewood, thyme, grapefruit, and oregano.
. Pine, etiver, Bergamot
The article also recommends the following recipe for after insect stings and bites:
10 drops each of Tea Tree and Peppermint essential oils mixed and applied undiluted to area as often as needed.
Please remember to use good essential oils. Please check your labels to make sure then can be used on your body.
I use Young Living essential oils because of their Seed to Seal guarantee that promises that the materials used in the oils are genuine, no chemicals were used on the plants as they grew, no chemicals or fillers were added during the distilling or packaging process.
Young Living Seed Seal Guarantee: https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/discover/seed-to-seal
Recipe for Bug Spray:
- 1 -12 oz bottle Witch Hazel
- 15 drops Citronella Essential Oil
- 15 drops Lemongrass EO
- 10 drops of Peppermint EO
- 10 drops of Tea Tree EO (optional, but works great if you have ticks as well)
- 1/2 teaspoon glycerin (optional, helps to hold ingredients together)
- 1 funnel
- 1 empty spray container (I used 2 oz colored glass spray bottle)
- 1 empty glass jar to mix the ingredients in (I used the same jar to store extra mix)
- Mix the Witch Hazel and Essential Oils in Jar. Shake or stir well.
- Use the funnel to pour mix into the spray bottle.
- Shake the spray bottle before each use.
- Store extra away from light.
Please respond about your experiences making and using this bug repellent!