James wrote recently asking for a mudra for arthritis.
In previous blog entries I have mentioned the book Mudras for Healing and Transformation by Joseph and Lilian Le Page. This book lists "Matsya Mudra" - Gesture of the Fish as the primary mudra for arthritis and health of our joints. (page 66). Matsya Mudra is especially helpful for:
- Nourishing the joints - Releasing Muscular contraction
- Get into a seated position:
On a chair with feet on the floor, shoulders relaxed back and crown of your head toward the ceiling.
On the floor, in an easy seated position or similar pose with shoulders relaxed back and crown of your head toward
- Hold hands out in front of you, palm down, fingers together.
- Place your right hand on top of your left.
- Extend your thumbs out to the side like "fins."
- Rest your hands against your lower abdomen or on your lap.
- Relax you arms. Allow your shoulders to relax back and down.
- Close your eyes or look lazily toward the floor and focus on your breath.
- Options: Try one of your favorite pranayama (breathing techniques)
Slowly repeat this phrase: "Bathed in waves of nourishing energy, my body moves freely and comfortably."
(Mudras page 66)
Other mudras listed by the Le Pages that might also help with arthritis:
- Mira Mudra - page 82 - "health of sacrum, pelvis and joints" and "reduces stress and relieves anxiety"
- Vyana Vayu Mudra - page 96 - "For Health of the Nervous System"
- Dvimkahm Mudra - page 176 - "For Facilitating Deep Relaxation"
- Svadhisthana Mudra - page 142
I enjoy yoga as it brings peace to my life. Teaching yoga has brought joy to my life and given me a chance to encourage others in learning yoga.