A member of my Thursday night yoga class brought in a purse made from recycled yoga mats. It was very cute. Seeing that pocket book started me thinking of ideas for old mats. At first I came up with some basic ideas:
- Use a mat to stand on as you work at your shop
- Put a piece under your electric shop tool, like a band saw, to prevent it from vibrating and moving.
- Cut a piece and put it under the pedal of a sewing machine to prevent it from sliding.
But then I went online and found some great websites about recycling yoga mats. (see list below)
Here are some great suggestions:
- Mouse Pad
- Napkin Rings
- Baseball Bases
- Line pet carriers
- Cut into shapes for tub and pool toys
- Line your car trunk to cushion parcels
- Tablet Covers
Then I thought why not make a knee cushion for kneeling poses or a cushion to sit on during easy pose. To create a knee cushion or seat cushion, sew or tape (use colored duct tape) the mat material into an envelope the size we need, stuff it with old towel or newspaper and stitch or tape it shut!
I am sure we could come up with more creative ideas. Feel free to write back with your ideas.
Websites on mat recycling:
I enjoy yoga as it brings peace to my life. Teaching yoga has brought joy to my life and given me a chance to encourage others in learning yoga.